East Houston Regional Medical Center – Houston, TX
Charge Registered Nurse (RN) Med/Surg (Nights)
Nestled in the heart of
the historic land where Texas won its independence, East Houston
Regional Medical Center offers comfort, convenience, excellence and
expertise to our neighbors who trust their health care to us.
East Houston Regional
Medical Center is a full-service
acute care hospital located on Interstate 10 East in Harris County. Our
community-based hospital offers 131 beds, more than 250 board-certified doctors
and more than 400 staff. Our Level IV emergency center is the only such facility
in the area. This certification allows our hospital to care for trauma cases
and also allows for quick diagnosis and reduced wait times for our patients
visiting the ER.
East Houston Regional
Medical Center is currently
looking for a Charge Registered Nurse (RN)– Med/Surg Unit.
The Charge Nurse coordinates nursing care on the unit through staff assignments, assisting/rounding with physicians, coordinating patient orders, communicating with ancillary departments and assisting staff. Coordinates nursing care for the patient and participates in patient / family education. Works collaboratively with ancillary staff and other patient care personnel in maintaining standards of professional nursing practice in the clinical setting. They assist the adult medical surgical patient to restore and/or maintain their optimal health. The
Medical Surgical RN is skilled in assessing, diagnosing and treating actual or potential health problems. Performs tasks as a caregiver and care coordinator. Able to work closely with other disciplines such as
case management, cardiopulmonary, physical therapy, etc. to restore the health of the patient. Participates in performance improvement activities to improve patient safety and quality of care. Maintains cultural and diversity awareness when dealing with patients, visitors, co-workers and other customers. Promotes a supportive, team-work oriented environment. Fulfills departmental responsibilities consistent with the long-range plan, mission, vision and values of the hospital.
1. Responsible for knowing and complying with the rules and regulations relating to the education, licensure and practice of the professional nurse as set forth in the Nurse Practice Act, Texas Occupations Code and/or other statutes and regulations relating to the practice of professional nursing.
2. Serves on a minimum of one hospital committee. Helps review and revise policies and procedures as requested.
3. Transcribes physician's orders and enters information appropriately into Meditech system.
4. Accurately documents in the patient’s record a description of the nursing care provided.
5. Acts as a mentor to new employees (including shared and agency staff)
6. Acts as a role model and resource to all staff members
7. Administers medication in a safe, knowledgeable and accurate manner. Follows laws, regulations, and hospital policy as it relates to controlled substances.
8. Aids in the hiring and evaluation process.
9. Assesses the number and level of personnel needed to provide quality patient care on the unit. Collaborates with the Director or Suprevisor in adjusting staffing and assignments.
10. Assessment, planning, implementation, and evaluation of care for assigned patients, including discharge planning, utilizing an interdisciplinary team approach.
11. Assigns responsibility to nursing staff members for providing nursing care to patients based on consideration of the seven element guide: 1. Complexity of patient care and required nursing care. 2. Dynamics of patient's status. 3. Complexity of the assessment required by the patient. 4. Type of technology employed in providing nursing care. 5. Degree of supervision required by each member of the nursing staff. 6. Availability of supervision. 7. Relevant infection control and safety issues.
12. Assists Case Management with moving patients through the continuum of care appropriately.
13. Assists the physician with examinations, tests and procedures.
14. Assists with and supports the patient and/or patient's family/significant in the end of life decisions.
15. Assists with insertion of catheters used for hemodynamic monitoring. Understands principles of hemodynamic monitoring, and the appropriate interventions for abnormal values.
16. Assists with invasive procedures performed on critically ill patients.
17. Carries out physician orders in a safe and appropriate manner.
18. Communicates well with staff, physicians and other departments.
19. Completes and demonstrates proficiency with unit based clinical and age-appropriate nursing competencies.
20. Complies with applicable hospital policy/procedure.
21. Coordinates Performance Improvement studies from identified problems from clinical practice areas which include assistance from and education of the unit nursing staff. Documents results on appropriate forms on a monthly basis. Encourages staff members to participate in the Performance Improvement Process.
22. Demonstrates excellence in all technical skills required on the Med/Surg Unit.
23. Essential duties and responsibilities include the following: Provides general nursing care to assigned patients.
24. Ethics and Compliance. Accountable for behaviors relative to the values articulated in the Mission & Values Statement – “Will act with absolute honesty, integrity and fairness in the way we conduct our business and the way we live our lives.” Accountable for attending annual Code of Conduct training.
25. Exhibits administrative, organizational and leadership abilities.
26. Exhibits the ability to grow and adjust and foster growth in others.
27. Initiate cardiac monitoring.
28. Interprets a life treatening cardiac rhythm during life supportive measures.
29. Monitors and observes the patient and accurately records changes in condition and reaction to medications and treatment.
30. Notifies appropriate individuals of changes in condition and utilizes the established chain of command when necessary.
31. Participates in evaluating the effectiveness of new hire orientation policies and procedures.
32. Participates in hospital performance improvement activities to improve safety and patient outcomes.
33. Participates in implementation of recommended practice or system changes.
34. Performs a physical assessment on assigned patients on admission and as needed by patient condition.
35. Performs all aspects of Intravenous Therapy.
36. Performs other duties as assigned or required.
37. Plans and coordinates patient/family teaching and assesses understanding of information provided.
38. Problem solves and assists director in attainment of goals for the unit.
39. Promotes an atmosphere of collaboration and teamwork by exhibiting professional behavior that demonstrates a commitment to the provision of quality patient care and support of a professional working environment.
40. Provides care and treatment that reflects appropriate infection control techniques and universal precautions.
41. Respects the patient's privacy and maintains confidentiality of health care and other information.
42. Respects the rights of patients to include their cultural, psychosocial, and spiritual values.
43. Supports the vision, mission and values of the hospital.
Click here for more info: https://hca.taleo.net/careersection/0hca/jobdetail.ftl?job=00009-70899&lang=en